A simple rustic gratin that can sit alongside a main course or with a salad. Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 141
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 9g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrates 8g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 cauliflower, cut florets with about 1-inch of stem
- 1/4 lb. bacon, cut crosswise into slender strips
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 oz. Gruyere, grated
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Generously butter a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Put dish on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a large pot of salted water add florets into boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse the cauliflower under cold water to cool it down,and pat dry.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, toss the bacon strips into a heavy skillet, cook over medium heat just until the bacon is browned but not crisp. Drain and pat dry.
- Spread the cauliflower out in the buttered pan, sprinkle bacon bits over cauliflower.
- Put flour in a bowl and gradually whisk in the eggs to combine. Whisk in the cream and milk. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and nutmeg, stir in about two thirds of the cheese. Pour the mixture over the cauliflower, shaking the pan a little so that the liquid settles between florets, sprinkle with the remaining cheese
- Bake the gratin for about 25 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden. If the top isn't as brown as you'd like, put under broiler for a couple of minutes.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/