Poulet Marengo (Chicken Marengo)
A bright and fresh chicken dish with hints of rosemary and orange.
A delicious chicken dish cooked slowly in butter and olive oil, with a hint of orange.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 184
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 21g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrates 18g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 lbs), quartered
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over low heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, and cook for another 5 minutes. Do not to brown chicken; it should be a pale gold. Remove chicken from the skillet and reserve.
- Add the onions, carrots, and garlic to the oil remaining in the skillet and cook, covered, over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- uncover the skillet and add the stock, orange juice, tomatoes, and rosemary. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Return the chicken pieces to pan and simmer until the chicken is nearly done, 30 to 40 minutes. Baste the pieces with sauce and turn once half way through cooking.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in another skillet and sauté the pepper julienne for 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the pepper to the skillet with the chicken and simmer together for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and orange zest. Serve immediately.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/