Although considered a cookie, a madeleine is considered more a cake than a cookie, since it’s made from a batter, similar to a genoise. Madeleines are always made in a shell-shaped pan; and was once associated with medieval religious pilgrims.
A delicious cookie with a hint of lemon.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 38
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 10g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour, plus enough to flour inside of Madeleine pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a small saucepan melt butter.
- In a medium size bowl sift together the flour and baking powder
- In another bowl beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until thicken and lighten in color 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add melted butter
- Using a spatula, fold in flour mixture until just combined.
- Cover batter with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap against the surface to create an airtight seal. Chill for at least 3 hours, longer-Chilling helps the batter develop its characteristic crown.
- Center a rack on the oven and preheat to 400*.
- Generously butter and dust the insides with flour and tap out excess.
- Place Madeleine pan on baking sheet for easy transportability.
- Divide the batter among the molds, filling them almost to the top.
- No need to worry about smoothing the batter, it will even out as it bakes.
- Bake large Madeleines for 11 to 13 minutes, small ones 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are puffed and golden brown.
- Using your finger, press lightly on the center hump; when the Madeleines are finished baking, it should spring back at your touch.
- Remove pan from oven and remove cookies by either rapping pan against the counter.
- Allow cookies to cool on cooling rack.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/