A very French, super simple soup, made with potato and leeks, garnished with fresh herbs.
Leek & Potato Soup
A delicious soup served either smooth or chunky.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 10g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrates 20g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 5 leeks, white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, washed, and thinly sliced
- 1 large russet potato.peeled and cubed
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups whole milk
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over low heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir until they glisten with butter. Season with salt and white pepper, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion is soft but not colored..
- Add the remaining ingredients, along with a little more salt, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. As soon as the soup bubbles, turn the heat to low, with pot partially covered. Simmer gently for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the vegetables can be mashed. Season with salt and white pepper as needed.
- Reduce the liquid to 6 cups and use all chicken broth. Puree the soup and chill for at least several hours, preferably overnight. When ready to serve, stir in 1 cup heavy cream. Season soup with salt and pepper as needed. Top with snipped fresh chives or chopped fresh parsley.
- You can serve this soup as is or mash with back of spoon or pressed through a strainer. Garnish with the topping of your choice.
- Minced fresh parsley, sage, tarragon, or marjoram, or a combination
- Snipped fresh chives
- Grated Parmesan or Gruyere
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/