Use a variety of peaches such as yellow and white. The almond extract adds a heightened flavor to the peaches.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 355
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 40g
Saturated Fat 18g
Trans Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrates 98g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 4 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 to 4 tablespoons peach brandy
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange the peaches in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the 2/3 cup sugar. the lemon zest and juice, and the almond extract.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the peaches are baking, sift the flour, 1 tablespoon of the remaining sugar, the baking powder, and salt together into a bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Combine the beaten egg and milk and mix into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Remove the peaches from the oven and quickly drop the dough by large spoonfuls over the surface. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Return to the oven until the top is firm and golden brown, 15 to 2o minutes.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks. Flavor with the peach brandy to taste.
- Serve the cobbler warm, accompanied by the whipped cream.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/