A classic French peasant dish
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 328
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 37g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 26g
Total Carbohydrates 30g
Dietary Fiber 11g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 small eggplants (about 4 lbs.) cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 lbs. white onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 7 medium-size zucchini, washed , trimmed, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 medium-size red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 medium-size green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (16 oz. each) Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (6 oz,) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large roasting pan with aluminum foil and pour in 1 cup of the olive oil. Add the eggplant, sprinkle it with the salt, and toss well. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake until the eggplant is done but not mushy, 35 minutes. Uncover and set aside.
- In a large skillet or in 2 smaller skillets, heat the remaining oil. Saute the onions, zucchini, red and green peppers, and garlic over medium heat until wilted and lightly colored, about 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, dill, basil, oregano, and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggplant mixture and simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/