Poulet Marengo (Chicken Marengo)
This soup is thickened in the classic French way with eggs, cream and flour. Perfect for a first course meal served with a good White Burgundy or Chardonnay.
An elegant dinner accompanied by a good Chardonnay.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 418
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 47g
Saturated Fat 28g
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrates 21g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup well rinsed, thinly sliced leeks,white part only
- 1/2 lb. mushroom caps, wiped clean and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups Fish Stock
- 1 lb. bay scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over low heat. Add the leeks and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to render their juices, 5 minutes. Add the parsley, season with salt and pepper, and raise the heat to high. Cook stirring constantly, until the mushroom juices have evaporated.
- Add the fish stock to the soup pot, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the scallops and let stand, covered, for 1 minute. Pour the soup through a strainer set over a bowl. Set the scallop mixture aside.
- Transfer the stock to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons in the soup pot over low heat. Add the flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow mixture to brown.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour in the boiling soup stock all at once, beating constantly with a wire whisk. The mixture will bubble furiously and then subside.
- Set the pot over medium heat and cook, stirring with the whisk, until the mixture has simmered for 5 minutes.
- Thoroughly whisk the eggs and the cream together in a small bowl. Remove the soup from the heat and slowly whisk 1 cup into the egg and cream mixture. Now whisk this mixture into the remainder of the soup.
- Set the soup pot over low heat; stir in the crushed tomatoes and sherry. Cook, stirring constantly until the soup has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Add the reserved scallop mixture and heat for another minute. Taste, correct the seasoning , and ladle into warmed soup bowls. Garnish with the fresh chives. Serve immediately.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/