Sour Cream Apple Pie
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 32g
Saturated Fat 9g
Trans Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 108g
Dietary Fiber 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, chilled
- 4 to 6 tablespoons apple cider, chilled
- Butter or shortening, for greasing the pan
- 5 to 7 tart apples
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shelled walnuts, chopped
- Prepare the crust: Sift the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon into a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles rolled oats.
- Moisten with just enough cider, tossing the ingredients lightly with a fork, to permit the dough to be formed into a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut off one third of the dough and return it to the refrigerator. Roll out remaining dough between sheets of wax paper. Grease a 9-inch pie pan and line it with the dough. Trim the overhang and crimp the edge decoratively.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the Filling: Peel , core, and thinly slice the apples; drop the slices into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the sour cream, sugar, egg, salt, vanilla, and flour in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the apples and toss well to coat. Spoon the apples into the pastry-lined pan.
- For the Topping: Mix the sugars, cinnamon, and walnuts together and sprinkle evenly over the apple filling.
- Roll out the remaining pastry between sheets of wax paper to form a 10-inch circle. Cut the dough into 1/2-inch strips and arrange these lattice fashion over the apples; trim the ends of the strips and crimp the edge of the crust decoratively.
- Set the pie on the center rack in the oven and bake until the juices are bubbling and the apples are tender, 55 to 65 minutes. If the crust browns too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Serve warm or cool.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/