Jade green tender-crisp broccoli and tender beef in a deeply flavored sauce.
Stir-Fried Beef & Broccoli
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 181
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrates 21g
Dietary Fiber 5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 lb. flank steak, sliced into 2-inch wide pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 lbs. broccoli, florets cut into bite-sized pieces, stems trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 3 medium scallions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Combine the beef and soy sauce in a medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once. In a measuring cup whisk the sherry, chicken broth, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Combine the garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil in a small bowl.
- Drain the beef and discard the liquid. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking. Add half of the beef to the skillet and break up clumps; cook without stirring, 1 minute, then stir and cook until beef is browned about the edges. Transfer the beef to a medium bowl. Add1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil and repeat with remaining beef.
- Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to now empty skillet, heat until just smoking. Add the broccoli and cook 30 seconds, add the water, cover the pan and lower the heat to medium. Steam the broccoli until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil to the skillet increase the heat to high and heat until just smoking. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently until spotty brown. Clear the center of the skillet; and add the garlic and ginger to the center of skillet and cook, mashing the mixture with a spoon, until fragrant about 20 seconds, then stir the mixture into the peppers. Return the beef and broccoli to the skillet and toss to combine. Whisk the sauce to recombine, then add to the skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with the scallions,and serve.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/