This almond cake is elegantly simple, consisting of a single layer so rich it requires no frosting.
Swedish Almond Cake
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 314
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 36g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 21g
Total Carbohydrates 50g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup blanched sliced almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper. Pulse 1 1/2 cups almonds, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in food processor until almonds are finely ground, 5 to 10 pulses. Transfer almond mixture to bowl.
- Process eggs, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, and almond extract in now-empty processor until very pale yellow, about 2 minutes. With processor running, add melted butter and oil in steady stream, until incorporated. Add almond mixture and pulse to combine, 4 to 5 pulses. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Using your fingers, combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest in small bowl until fragrant, 5 to 10 seconds. Sprinkle top of cake evenly with remaining 1/3 cup almonds followed by sugar-zest mixture.
- Bake until center of cake is set and bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes, rotating pan after 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around sides of pan. Invert cake onto greased wire rack, discard parchment, and re-invert cake onto second wire rack. Let cake cool, about 2 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.
Serve cake with Orange Creme Fraiche
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Remove 1 teaspoon zest from 1 orange. Cut away peel and pith from oranges. Slice between membranes to release segments and cut segments into 1/4-inch pieces. Combine orange pieces and zest, creme fraiche, sugar, and salt in bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/