Vietnamese Chicken Soup
A delicious blend of Thai basil and coconut.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 231
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 27g
Saturated Fat 20g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 43g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Stems from 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 points star anise
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, and minced
- 2 dried red chiles
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
- About 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 lb. chicken breasts with skin and bones
- 5 oz. Chinese egg noodles or rice vermicelli
- 4 - 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- About 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh Thai basil leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- Lime wedges
- Bean sprouts
- Hoisin sauce
- Asian chile oil
- Put the cilantro stems, star anise, coriander seeds and white peppercorns in a square of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine, add to Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chiles, add the chicken broth and coconut milk. Season mixture with about 2 tablespoons fish sauce, the brown sugar and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, add the chicken, cover pot and poach chicken gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a bowl; let cool enough to handle. Turn off heat and keep soup covered.
- While the chicken is cooling, cook the noodles following package directions. Drain in a colander and run under cold water. Drain well.
- Using your fingers, shred the chicken, discard the skin and bones, into small pieces. Bring the soup back to a boil, lower the heat just so it simmers, and stir in chicken and noodles. Once soup is hot add more fish sauce to taste and as much lime juice as you like. Stir in the cilantro.
- Ladle the soup into large bowls and serve with any or all of the garnishes.
Silver Spoon Recipes http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/